A persistent global challenge in device assembly is the need to attach different materials in a reliable manner with minimal shift and maximum dimensional stability and hermiticity. A growing demand for novel adhesive chemistries that enable complex bonding provide the basis for developing adhesives with new performance attributes. Novel adhesives will meet growing demands for miniaturized medical and commercial devices that are ever-increasing in connectivity and lower cost; as populations expand and more consumer nations continue to industrialize, this trend is expected to continue.
Immunolight’s energy conversion technology offers a unique opportunity to commercialize new classes of X-Ray curable UV adhesives developed with the following attributes:
- No line of sight curable chemistries
- No-depth of penetration limitation
- Ability to cure buried joints
- Room temperature curing
- Avoids thermal mismatch & distortion
- Environmentally safe
Our technology has the potential to alter device assemblies at their core and to enable new designs and new features otherwise unattainable using current state of the art UV adhesive technology.
Our proprietary technology utilizes X-Ray energy to deeply penetrate an assembly and convert it into light energy inside a UV curable adhesive bond line. This is done by dispersing phosphor materials (in powder forms) into a desirable UV curable adhesive chemistry. The phosphor material converts the X-Ray energy into UV radiation. In turn, the UV radiation activates the photo-initiator inside a UV adhesive chemistry. In this manner, any desirable UV adhesive chemistry can be cured using X-Ray energy on demand remotely.
A hallmark of our energy conversion technology is that it enables curing without line of sight and bonding at room temperature. In effect, an adhesive bead inside a buried joint can be activated to cure on demand by turning on X-Ray at any desirable point in time. Moreover, the curing of UV adhesives can be done without thermal excursions, which can enable unique assembly processes.
Our technology can enable value added impacts on curing, assembly methods and process flow and related capital costs. With Immunolight’s technology, adhesive materials were successfully reduced to practice to bond semiconductors, Flip Chip, die to wafer, die to flex circuits and plastics to plastics, with cycle times ranging from 20 seconds to 120 seconds. Feasibility has been demonstrated in Acrylates, Epoxies and Silicones using free radical and cationic polymerization.
In addition, a significant value-add with our technology is the departure from solvent based adhesives (which are not compliant with the EPA) and hot melts (which require a thermal reflow treatment). The light modulating compounds we use are commercially available in large scale, are non-hazardous and have good miscibility into various resins. These compounds can be added to standard UV curable adhesive chemistries to form the new class of adhesives that are scalable in high volume manufacturing using existing compounding equipment. Our environmentally-friendly adhesives are aligned with EPA regulations and congruent with safe manufacturing practices. Furthermore, these novel adhesives remain in a green state and allow adjustments prior to full cure.
We have filed worldwide patent coverage on these novel adhesives compounds, their fabrication methods and their use in various devices and applications.
- Capability: Ability to bond parts at room temperature with no line of sight to the adhesive bead.
Implementation in high volume: Immunolight’s technology can be made using existing high volume mixing equipment.
- Backward and Forward Applicability: Immunolight’s technology could be added to existing adhesive chemistries (backward compatible) or could be used to formulate new adhesive compounds especially formulated for certain requirements (setting new standards).
- Proprietary Technology: Multiple applications pending with additional filings in development, encompassing chemistry, device making, methods and apparatus.
- Cost: Raw materials are widely available and are cost effective to minimize gross margin erosion. Additionally, premium pricing potential exists for specialty applications. Finally, savings in end use device production and processing provide upside savings or premium pricing.
- Differentiation: The novel adhesive enables unique methods and design flexibility (smaller features, material selection) that surpass the state of the art.
Immunolight’s materials, compounds and process methods could potentially be incorporated into almost any adhesive solution that requires bonding dissimilar materials including:
- Computing, Display and Mobile Devices
- Medical Electronics and Devices
- Bonding LCDs
- Semiconductor stacking
- Automotive and Aerospace composites
- Apparel and footwear
The number of potential applications for Immunolight’s adhesive technology is virtually limitless. Contact us today to learn more about how Immunolight can help you with your specific adhesive needs.